Name: Erol Seker
Ph.D., Chemical Engineering
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan USA
M.S., Chemical Engineering
Middle East Technical University, Ankara Turkey
B.S., Chemical Engineering
Middle East Technical University, Ankara Turkey
- International Journal of Hydrogen Energy
- Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology
- Catalysis Letters
- Chemical Papers
- Applied Catalysis B: Environmental
- Journal of Molecular Catalysis A: Chemical
- Materials Research Bulletin
- Chemical Engineering Journal
- Biotechnology Progress
- Journal of Renewable Energy
- Journal of Biofuels
- Journal of Oleo Science: Japan Oil Chemists’ Society
- Fuel Processing Technology
- Turkish Journal of Engineering & Environmental Sciences
For Grant Institutes;
- European Union COST project reviewer.
- Ad hoc reviewer for United States Department of Agriculture.
- Project reviewer for Technology and Innovation Support Programmes (the Scientific and Technical Research Council of Turkey).
- Project reviewer for the Scientific and Technical Research Council of Turkey.
Workshop Organizing Committees:
Contribution to European Union -Joint Research Center (JRC-IE) and UNIDO/ICHET, Polymer Membrane Fuel Cells Summer School, 11-15 July (2010), Izmir Turkey
Institutional and Professional Services:
- IYTE Member in waste handling committee 2008-present
- IYTE Energy Engineering member of academic board 2009-present
- Guest contributor on the topic of “Renewable Energy and Biofuels” in Live Broadcasting Room TV program on Turkish Radio Television (TRT) Documentary TV channel, July 7, 2011 Izmir Turkey.
Associate Professor (IYTE, Izmir, Turkey) January 2009- present
Assistant Professor (IYTE, Izmir, Turkey) June 2002-January 2009
Senior Research Scientist (University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA) March 2005-June 2007
Research Fellow (University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA) March 2000-June 2002
Graduate Student Research Assistant (University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA) January 1999-April 2000
Graduate Student Instructor (University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA) September 1998-January 1999
Graduate Student Instructor (Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey) September 1990-September 1993
1. Cooperative Research Project: Development of the next generation bioreactor system (with Prof. Dr. Sacide A. Altinkaya of Izmir Institute of Technology) European Union 7th Research Framework Programme (FP7),€400,000 (for our research group at Izmir Institute of Technology) (01/12/09-)
2. Direct epoxidation of propene (with Prof. Dr. Isik Onal) The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey, $22,500 (01/01/05-01/06/08)
3. Hydrogen production from bio-ethanol on silica supported oxide catalysts. The Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey, $19,000 (01/05/03-01/05/05)
4. Water electrolysis in PEM electrolyzer using solar energy (with Assoc. Prof. Dr. Gulden Gokcen)State Planning Agency of Turkey, $50,000 (01/01/02-01/06/05)
5. Studies on mixed oxides preparation via sol-gel for molten carbonate fuel cell Izmir institute of Technology, $4,500 (01/01/03-01/05/04)
Heterogeneous catalysis, environmental catalysis, photocatalysis, electrocatalysis, novel catalyst synthesis, catalyst characterization, sol-gel processing, micro-reactors.
- Hydrogen Energy
- Biofuels (biodiesel, algal biofuels, syn-gas)
- Fuel Cells & Electrolyzers
- Renewable Energy
- Fuel Processing
- Catalytic Combustion
- Catalytic NOx and VOC abatement
Research related photos from our labs
N. ocluta algae growth followed by extraction of algal lipid and finally biodiesel production
5 cells PEM electrolyzer manufactured in our ab
Photocatalytic materials for methylene blue mineralization
Antibacterial materials against E.coli bacteria
- Catalyst preparation techniques: sol-gel method, impregnation, deposition-precipitation, co-precipitation and coating method.
- Catalyst characterization techniques: X-Ray Diffraction, X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy, Transmission Electron Microscopy, Scanning Electron Microscopy, N2 adsorption surface area analysis.
- Catalyst activity screening: Construction and operation of micro-reactor systems.
- Chemical analysis techniques: Mass Spectrometry, Fourier Transform IR spectroscopy, Gas Chromatography, NOx Analyzer, Refractometers.
CHE 302 Chemical Kinetics and Reactor Design
CHE 410 Chemical Engineering Laboratory II
CHE 420 Engineering Economics and Design
CHE 421 Engineering Design
CHE 551 Sol-Gel Synthesis of Catalytic Materials
CHE 520 Materials Concepts in Catalysis
Mert Tuncer (Ph.D. candidate)
Arda Aytac (M.Sc. student)
Emre Demirkaya (M.Sc. student)
Publication List (peer reviewed):
- D. Duzenli, E. Seker, S. Senkan, I. Onal, “Epoxidation of Propene by High-Throughput Screening Method Over Combinatorially Prepared Cu Catalysts Supported on High and Low Surface Area Silica“ Catalysis Letters, 2012, 142(10), 1234
- E. Umdu, E. Seker, Transesterification of Sunflower Oil on Single Step Sol-Gel Made Al2O3 Supported CaO Catalysts: Effect of Basic Strength and Basicity on Turnover Frequency, Bioresource Technology, 2012, 106, 178.
- M. Tuncer, E. Seker, Single Step Sol-Gel made Silver Chloride on Titania Xerogels to Inhibit E. Coli bacteria Growth: Effect of Preparation and Chloride ion on Bactericidal Activity, Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology, 2011, 59, 2, 304.
- I. Onal, D. Duzenli, A. Seubsai, M. Kahn, E. Seker, S. Senkan, Propylene Epoxidation: High-Throughput Screening of Supported Metal Catalysts Combinatorially Prepared by Rapid Sol-Gel Method, Topics in Catalysis, 2010, 53, (1-2), 92.
- Weidenhof, M. Reiser, K. Stöwe, W. Maier, M. Kim, J. Azurdia, E. Gulari, E. Seker, A. Barks, R. Laine, High-Throughput Screening of Nanoparticle Catalysts Made by Flame Spray Pyrolysis as Hydrocarbon/NO Oxidation Catalysts, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 2009, 131, (26), 9207.
- E. Umdu, M. Tuncer, E. Seker, Transesterification of Nannochloropsis oculata microalgal lipid to biodiesel on Al2O3 supported CaO and MgO catalysts, Bioresource Technology, 2009, 100, 11, 2828.
- E. Seker, The catalytic reforming of bio-ethanol over SiO2 supported ZnO catalysts: The role of ZnO loading and the steam reforming of acetaldehyde, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 2008, 33, (8), 2044.
- E. Seker, E. Gulari, Single Step Sol-Gel Made Gold/Alumina Catalyst for Selective Reduction of NOx under Oxidizing Conditions: Effect of Gold Precursor and Reaction Conditions, Applied Catalysis A:General, 2002, 232, (1-2), 203.
- E. Seker, N. Yasyerli, E. Gulari, C. Lambert, R. Hammerle, NO reduction by Urea under Lean Conditions over Single Step Sol-Gel Cu/Alumina Catalyst, Journal of Catalysis, 2002, 208, 1, 15.
- E. Seker, N. Yasyerli, E. Gulari, Christine Lambert and Robert H. Hammerle, “NOX reduction by urea under lean conditions over single step sol–gel Pt/alumina catalyst”, Applied Catalysis B:Environmental, 2002, 37, 27.
- E. Seker, E. Gulari, Robert H. Hammerle, Christine Lambert, Jiraporn Leerat and S. Osuwan, “NO reduction by urea under lean conditions over alumina supported catalysts”, Applied Catalysis A:General, 2002, 226, 183.
- E. Seker and E. Gulari, “Activity and N2 Selectivity of Sol-Gel prepared Pt/Alumina Catalysts for Selective NOx Reduction”, Journal of Catalysis, 2000, 194, 4.
- E. Seker, J. Cavataio, E. Gulari, P. Lorpongpaiboon, S. Osuwan, “Nitric Oxide Reduction by Propene over Silver Alumina and Silver-Gold/Alumina Catalysts: Effect of Preparation Methods”, Applied Catalysis A:General, 1999, 183, 121.
- E. Seker and E. Gulari, “Improved N2 Selectivity for Platinum on Alumina Prepared by Sol-Gel Technique in the Reduction of NOx by Propene”, Journal of Catalysis, 1998, 179, 339.
- E. Seker and T.G. Somer, “Vapor-Liquid-Equilibrium Still-A New Design”, Measurement Science & Technology, 1993, 4, 776.
- B. Koseoglu, M. Tuncer, E. Seker, “Degradation of Methylene Blue in Water Using Sol-gel Made TiO2 Photocatalysts: Preparation Effects“, 4th National Catalysis Conference (NCC-4), March 21-24 (2012), Kocaeli Turkey.
- M. Tuncer, F. Tihminlioglu, E. Seker, “Investigation of antibacterial properties of AgCl-TiO2 materials”, 9th National Chemical Engineering Congress, June 22-25 (2010), Ankara Turkey.
- Onal, I., Duzenli, D., Seubsai, A., Kahn, M., Seker, E., Senkan, S., “Propylene epoxidation: High-throughput screening of supported metal catalysts combinatorially prepared by rapid sol-gel method”, 1st International Combinatorial Catalysis Symposium (ICCS), (2008), Daejon Korea.
- M. Tuncer, E.S. Umdu, E. Kursat, G. Yilmaz, Y. Durmaz, S. Gokpinar and E. Seker, “Biodiesel Production from Microalgae over Heterogeneous Catalysts”, Global Conference on Global Warming, July 6-10 (2008), Istanbul Turkey.
- E.S. Umdu, S.C. Sofuoglu and E. Seker, “Biodiesel production over solid catalysts”, Biofuels and Biofuels Technologies Symposium, December 12-14 (2007), Ankara Turkey.
- C. Aksakal, E. Seker and G. Gokcen, “Hydrogen Production by using Photovoltaic Module Powered PEM Electrolyzers at Izmir Institute of Technology”, 2nd International Hydrogen Energy Congress and Exhibition, July 13-15 (2007), Istanbul Turkey.
- E. Seker and E. Gulari, “Hydrogen Production from Bio-Ethanol over ZnO-SiO2 Supported Metal Catalysts”, 28th Annual Spring Symposium of the Michigan Catalysis Society, May 25 (2006), Midland, Michigan USA.
- E. Seker, E. Gulari, N. Yasyerli, C. Lambert and R. Hammerle, “NOx Reduction by Urea under Lean Conditions over Cu/Alumina Catalyst”, 2005 Annual Meeting of American Institute of Chemical Engineers, October 30-November 4 (2005), Cincinnati, Ohio USA.
- E. Seker and E. Gulari, “Hydrogen Production from Ethanol and Methanol over Sol-Gel Synthesized Mixed Oxides Catalysts”, 2005 Annual Meeting of American Institute of Chemical Engineers, October 30-November 4 (2005), Cincinnati, Ohio USA.
- C. J. Brown, E. Gulari and E. Seker, “Methanol Decomposition and Steam Reforming over Sol-Gel Prepared Promoted Pt on Alumina Catalysts”, 2002 Annual Meeting of American Institute of Chemical Engineers, November 3-8 (2002), Indianapolis USA.
- E. Gulari, N. Yasyerli and E. Seker, “Selective Reduction of NOx by Urea with a Copper Oxide Catalyst”, 2001 Annual Meeting of American Institute of Chemical Engineers, November 4-9 (2001), Reno, Nevada USA.
- E. Seker, E. Gulari, R. Hammerle and J. Cavataio, “Sol-Gel Catalysts for NO Reduction by Urea under Lean Conditions”, 17th North American Catalysis Society Meeting, June 3-8 (2001), Toronto Canada.
- E. Gulari and E. Seker, “Unusually Active Gold/Alumina Catalysts for Selective Reduction of NOx with Propene”, 2000 Annual Meeting of American Institute of Chemical Engineers, November 12-17 (2000), Los Angeles, California USA.
- R. Hammerle, J. Cavataio, E. Gulari and E. Seker, “Catalytic Reduction of NO with Urea”, 2000 Annual Meeting of American Institute of Chemical Engineers, November 12-17 (2000), Los Angeles, California USA.
- E. Seker and E. Gulari, “Activity and Selectivity of Sol-Gel prepared Pt/Alumina Catalysts for Reduction NOx with Propene under Oxidizing Conditions”, 1999 Annual Meeting of American Institute of Chemical Engineers, November 7-12 (1999), Dallas, Texas USA.
- E. Seker and E. Gulari, “Sol-Gel Prepared Pt/Alumina Catalysts for NOx Reduction with Propene under Oxidizing Conditions”, 21th Annual Spring Symposium of the Michigan Catalysis Society, May 20 (1999), Midland, Michigan USA.
- J. Cavataio, E. Seker and E. Gulari, “Selective Reduction of NOx by Hydrocarbons over 5% Silver Sol-Gel Alumina Catalyst: Effect of Hydrocarbon Type, Oxygen Content, Sulfur Dioxide and Water”, 21th Annual Spring Symposium of the Michigan Catalysis Society, May 20 (1999), Midland, Michigan USA.
- E. Seker, P. Lorponpaiboon and E. Gulari, “NO Reduction by Propene under an Oxidizing Condition on Alumina Supported Silver and Gold Catalysts Prepared by a Sol-Gel Technique”, 20th Annual Spring Symposium of the Michigan Catalysis Society, May 14 (1998), Detroit, Michigan USA.